Monday, October 31, 2011

Summary

And here we are, at the last post of the project. Before I get into the summary, here are the three comments I made on classmates blogs:

Harmony Dashut's NoteBase

Sarah Schuster's Charities Connect

Amilcar Hoefdraad's Musician Networking


Okay! With that said and done, lets move onto my final thoughts on OmniEXP.

I suppose its a bit my fault that the project idea hasn't evolved a whole lot throughout the course of the semester. When I start thinking about concepts, I get obsessive about fleshing them out as much as I possibly can before I present them, so by the time I had made my initial post I had a fairly clear idea of what I wanted OmniEXP to be and the general direction I was going in. Its also my fault that, being a rote niche social media site, there wasn't a whole lot of room for peripheral content, as in content that applies to the variety of lectures delivered throughout the course.

To be fair, there were some pretty intriguing lectures that got me thinking about implementation issues that I hadn't previously considered. The web protocol lecture got me concerned about SSL encryption, the input/output lecture informed me of the wonders of RFID, and the operating systems lecture reaffirmed my faith in Linux. So its not like there was absolutely no progress.

Overall, I like to think my experience with this project has been a good one. I'm my idea's biggest fan, and would love to see someone a lot smarter and more business-minded than myself implement it. It got me thinking about technology in a more proactive way, not just as something to utilize but as a tool for precognition. The next idea is out there, and any one of us could be the next Jobs or Zuckerberg or Google Hive Mind.

This was a triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment